Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sketchblog Edition 7: Chasing The Sun

Today was another anxious sort of day.
I felt restless for most of the latter half of it, but that anxiety produced some sketches at the very least.

Classes were in the morning, and I was just starting to get over that doozie of a headache from Tuesday, but traces of it started eeking back due to the combined efforts of the early wake-up time, a very chilly ride on my moped to class, the smell of smoke on my professor, and the stuffy cold and dimness of the classroom (plus just being inside for about 6 hours will always make me feel like crap).
Fortunately we ordered pizza for lunch (which was an ordeal in itself... have you ever tried ordering a pizza at 10:40 in the morning?!?), so that satiated my appetite for a little while.
I almost nodded off a couple times in class, though, so when it came time for me to go home, I immediately collapsed on my bed and slept away the next three hours of the day.

When I woke up it was time for dinner, so Lilly and I went to Saigon Flavors.
I got half of the day's sketches in just that one sitting, so I guess it was worth the trip out there.
(That and the delicious food. :P)

Lilly and I play a game (which we both learned from others before we even met each other) where you take the straw wrapper, tie a knot in it, and try to break the knot free by pulling the two ends in opposite directions.
If the knot comes undone, it means someone is thinking of you.
Conversely, we've taken the knot remaining tied to mean that nobody is thinking of you at all (though this is probably not true).
Here is an example, and a comic to illustrate:




THIS is why I love Saigon Flavors.
They have one of my favorite foods: steamed red bean buns.
(Or as my sister calls them, "Peach Butts.")
Red bean paste is definitely among my most favored food items. :3


When I got home I realized it was starting to get late and I still haven't reached a good number of sketches for the day, so I cruised deviantART for inspiration.
Lauren Montgomery has some pretty amazing stuff and a great style, and today she posted this image of Sailor Mercury.
Now, I am by no means a Sailor Moon fan (sorry, D.J.), but this image caught my attention simply because of the clean, sleek look of it and the unique pose and angle.
Normally you'd see Sailor Moon fanart that's either shot straight on with them in their post-transformation poses, or you'll just get straight-up hentai.
This, on the other hand, is a different take, as simple as it may seem, and I have to give Lauren props for it.

I liked it so much I wanted to emulate her style a bit.
So I drew this random woman.
The pose is weird and the anatomy is all whack, but I kind of like the way it came out.
It's definitely something different.
I like exploring other styles, even if I don't intend to ever use them again.
*shrug*


Later, I was listening to my custom playlist on my iTunes, when the song Tiger Track by KAGAMI began playing.
I was suddenly reminded how much I love the Eureka Seven Soundtracks and put the song on repeat while I started furiously sketching whatever ridiculous action poses popped out of my head.
I have to say, I really like the results.
I may end up using a few of these in some future illustrations. :3


And they all lived happily ever after.
The end.



Thanks for reading, as always!
And (as always), I love you all!
Have a goodnight, and wake up feeling awesome in the morning! :)

<3,
Emily J Sampson

No comments:

Post a Comment