Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sketchblog Edition 106: Every Moment True

It's been.... quite the day.
It turned from bad to good quickly and I am relieved for it.

I have to confess, I've been reading a lot of Hark, A Vagrant by the tremendously intelligent and talented Kate Beaton lately, and I think it's starting to influence my own style.
Is that bad?
I don't think so.
If you find something you like, and you feel you can incorporate it into your own style,
why not?
Utilizing your influences is an integral part of developing your own style.
Just don't blatantly copy.
Make sure you know what you're doing and why.
*nod*


I have been waiting for this package from my family for weeks,
and let me tell you,
it could not have come at a better time.
COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF CHOCOLATES.
GODIVA TRUFFLES, no less.
Valentine's packages from home are always the best.


So I won't lie,
it's been a rough year so far.
And these past few weeks have been especially harsh on me.
I was just telling my best friend that I have been feeling very overwhelmed,
and that I was drowning.
That I just wanted to know that I was making a difference in someone's life somewhere.
I wanted to know I was important.

Then today,
I got a phone call from my dad.
It was normal chit-chat at first,
and I didn't tell him how I had really been feeling lately,
but he somehow picked up on it,
and minutes after he had hung up,
he called back.
And it was the best thing he could have ever said to me right now...


I got some stuff done at home,
ate a quick dinner,
and skittered off to Monty (on my Tobi, yay!),
where this was happening:
I don't think I want to explain what was going on to cause this,
but maybe it's the right thing to do.
Drew is doing an experimental animation that requires skintones and body types and textures and whatnot.
So of course... people had to take their shirts off.
It was inevitable.
And I am fine with that.

(Later, I would realize that the reaction face I drew of myself was identical to Wort from Sword In The Stone.)

Later, there was dancing.

And dumplings.
So, I won't lie.
This actually kind of terrifies me.
But it terrified me when it happened in real life,
so I guess it's an accurate depiction of true events?
Dumpling Nate is scary. @^@


Today's free sketch goes to Vawn-O-The-Dawn,
who came up with "Duggoogle,"
the final evolution of Diglett.
I don't think it's much of a step up.
Some of the heads aren't as fully evolved as others....


That's all today!
Thanks for reading!

Love you all,
and goodnight!


<3,
Emily J. Sampson

2 comments: